At the end of last week I had a quick look at some of the content I had produced in the past year. With 95 articles, reports and research round-ups published, it was a busy – and productive – time.
As reflects my various research interests, I wrote about everything from social media to journalism innovation, as well as mobility, cybersecurity, privacy and the digital Middle East, alongside perennial favourites such as hyperlocal media and community journalism.
Below is a selection of articles, presentations and reports which I think best sum up my research and journalism efforts from the last 12 months. I’m always interested in new stories and writing opportunities, so if you’re interested in working with me, then let me know via Twitter or LinkedIn.
- ictQATAR: How Qatar uses WhatsApp, Snapchat and other social media
- Huffington Post: Understanding Social Media in the Middle East
- LinkedIn: If talk is cheap, why are chat apps becoming such big business?
- ictQATAR: Social Media Use In Qatar: The Story Of 2013 (English, Arabic)
- ictQATAR: Social Media in the Middle East: The Story of 2013 (English, Arabic)
Middle East Tech
- ZDNet: From Chile to Seattle to Morocco: One startup’s journey of software development across the globe
- ictQATAR: Attitudes to Cybersafety and Online Privacy in the Middle East
- Center for Global Communication Studies: New study offers us fresh insights into the attitudes and behaviors of online users in the Middle East
- ZDNet: Inside Geekcon, the summer camp that celebrates pointless tech
- ZDNet: Behind the scenes of how Google brought Street View to the Pyramids.
- SlideShare: Reinventing Journalism: Trends, Innovations and Unanswered Questions
- BBC: Managing the legal risks of UGC: Key issues to consider
- BBC: Managing the legal risks of UGC: Copyright
- BBC: Five ways local media can help itself #localjournalism
- Online Journalism Blog: Hyperlocal media and engagement with political parties: what’s been your experience?
- Street Fight: 5 Tips for the Aspiring Hyperlocal Publisher
- Online Journalism Blog: Hyperlocal Voices series (7 new interview with publishers)
- Street Fight: How Hyperlocal Publishers Can Take Advantage of the Data Gold Rush
- co.uk: 5 ways hyperlocal sites can do more with data
- BBC: Data stories need context for hyperlocal audiences
- Your Middle East: Digital innovations in the Middle East that will solve your traffic jam problem
- ictQATAR: Tech Top 10, Issue 15: 10 innovations in 3D Printing (English, Arabic)
- ictQATAR: Tech Top 10, Issue 13: 10 innovations in eCommerce (English,Arabic)
- SlideShare: Where next for mobile in the Middle East?
- ZDNet: Who’s the world’s fibre broadband leader? Prepare to be surprised