Materials – slides, syllabi and student work – from my teaching at the University of Oregon’s School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) 2015-present.
Published student work
- Landing your dream internship: 3 tips from WSJ’s Ryan Knutson, Francesca Fontana, journalism.co.uk, July 2017.
- 5 ‘must dos’ for producing captivating podcasts, Jackson Phonsopha, journalism.co.uk, June 2017.
- Stop and listen: A beginner’s guide to planning and recording an audio story, Kenzie White, journalism.co.uk, March 2017.
- How Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram Measure Engagement, Kira Hoffelmeyer, MediaShift, June 2016
- Making Sense of Engagement Editors, Social Metrics and Analytics, Kira Hoffelmeyer, MediaShift, May 2016
The mainstreaming of data reporting and what it means for journalism schools, August Frank and YingYing Yang, with Damian Radcliffe, journalism.co.uk, December 2015.
- Introduction to Public Affairs and Community Reporting
- Identifying sources
- Live Blogging
- Understanding Human Interest stories
- Health Journalism: a short primer
- Creating a professional online journalism portfolio
- Court records and reporting
- Police and Crime Reporting: Part 1
- Police and Crime Reporting: Part 2
- Introduction to Data Journalism
- Data Journalism: Inside the global future
- 10 good habits for reporters and journalists
Top Audio Storytelling
- Class notes: Week 1, Market Context
- Audio and Podcasting in the US
- Class Notes: Week 2, Inside KLCC, Tech and Radio Theatre
- Guest Speaker: 10 takeaways on podcasting from journalist Abigail Edge
- Guest Speaker: 12 lessons about live radio from Wendy Pilmer